Friday, May 29, 2009

Mr. Mom


Hello readers of Kiki's Blog...this is Gregor...checking in after two days of Mr. Mommin' it with the kids. Kiki had to go out of town for a few days for business and asked if I could handle the kids. Now, I'm always looking for ways to pay off my debt to Kiki, and I had just returned with a tan from a week of "business" in California....so I agreed to take off work and stay home with the kids.


The first morning went pretty well, I dropped Hudson and Larkin off at school, took Brooke to Starbucks for my Mocha Frappuccino, then proceeded to the gym where I dropped Brooke off at the Kid's Zone for two hours. While shooting hoops and listening to my Ipod, I thought...."this isn't so bad."


(jump ahead 24 hours). I'm cursing my luck that I run out of wipes...one wipe into the worst public diarrhea I have ever experienced. Brooke, smiling from the relief she must feel, is sitting in a load too large for her pants (and shirt) and piled high on the restaurant high chair. I carry her, still strapped in the high chair, to the car. Where are the F'in wipes? Now what? I consider cutting her clothes off. I look around for a body of water. Duct tape? Anything? My wilderness survival skills aren't doing shit for me now. I grab my towel from my gym bag and wrap the little dirty monster up like a burrito. Meanwhile, Larkin is jumping around the car like a monkey, using this distraction to her advantage and trying to simultaneously misuse a pen, apply Kiki's lip balm, and release the parking brake. I yell at both kids to get in their seat. Then Hudson, sounding like the orphan from Oliver Twist, asks "Dad, why are you being so mean to us?" I say, "I'm not mad at you, I just have poop all over my hands and I want you to get in your freakin' seat!" Of course it's like 85 degrees and I'm sweating like a much fatter person. Then I start thinking...what you all have thought before...that Kiki really is an uber-mom. This is just another day in her life. I think of how grateful I am to have her and how lucky (and clean) the kids are because of her. And while I'm sitting at work checking my Facebook page, she is out here, at war with poop monsters. So yeah, I could puff out my chest and tell her it was "No problem...easy!", but instead I'm telling you all.....IT WAS HARD.


But we survived; and somewhere between the messes and tears were some really great moments and some quality Dad time. It's these moments that keep us parents going...or maybe it's the Mocha Frappuccinos......

5 comments:

Erin said...

Ok, too funny. This is going to have Daniel in stitches...have to go get him to read this! Glad that you realize what a great wife and mom you share your home with, G! She is a superstar! By the way, I asked Larkin if she had a good time with her Daddy, and she said "Yes" without hesitation...so it sounds like they only remember the good times from those two days.

Rebecca said...

I was laughing out loud really hard. Man, thanks for sharing your story Greggor....it really is funny to read about, but I bet it was terrible in the moment...I am still having after laughs...oh man! Funny!!

Rebecca said...

oops, I just realized I spelled your name wrong...Gregor:)

Brianne Jensen said...

Ahh... what a tribute Kiki! What a great guy to actually admit it is hard sometimes! You are a uber mom, and make it look easy to so many others of us! You rock...doc! :)

Ella Grace Campbell said...

I am still laughing! So sweet to read that- especially how easy it all started out and how quickly it "went south". I second Brianne's comments that you are an uber mom!