
Gregor and I made it back from Whistler (just outside of Vancouver) late sunday evening. We had such a fantastic, kid-free vacation! Hudson, Larkin and Brooke had a wonderful time with Debi and Mikie. I really don't know how to thank them for allowing me to relax while across the county knowing that my kids were all in good hands. They all survived and really enjoyed their time together. Gregor and I got a few days of snowboarding in on the biggest slopes I've ever seen. I went from wanting to stop snowboarding forever, to having the best time ever on fresh powder... nice! We went to a wedding and rehearsal dinner for one of Gregor's friends from college. This was fun, but Gregor and I were SO tired. We never really adjusted to the three hour time change... so we were basically waking up at 4:30 in the morning and trying to stay awake past 11 at night... while snowboarding all day. The only weird part about being kid free, is when I was asked the "so, what do you do" question. I had a little identity crisis. What am I now? Mom of three kids? Ph.D that's not really working anywhere... I just had a bit of a hard time figuring out what to do with myself or how to describe myself without the kids around. They consume so much of my thoughts and time, that I really have to dig deep to figure out who the 31 year old kiki really is. Gregor and I came home refreshed though. It's nice to take a step back and remember that I am choosing to be a mostly stay at home mom. I love these kids and I have a renewed patience in dealing with them. I wish we could do a trip like this every year!

1 comment:
You say with confidence, "Full time mother!" My girl friend just moved to Iowa (husband in med school there) and said not one person has asked what she does all day when she stays home with kids- a refreshing change from Boston where she got the question often. Different priorities in different places. You got it right mama! Glad to hear you guys got a vacation. Rod and I went there once. Aren't the runs LONG... it takes like 45 minutes to get down from the top. I had to sit and take breathers.
Post a Comment