Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Love for the Cleaning Lady

Bonnie... oh Bonnie... how much I love you.
Bonnie cleans our house every two weeks. It started when my mom was here right before Brooke was born and she realized that perhaps I needed a little housework help... could it have been the cruddy toilet or the funky sheets that gave me away. With so many kids and so many side jobs, something had to give and it was usually housework. I love you mom, for telling me it's okay to have someone help! Seriously, those are my happiest days. I walk in the house on Bonnie Days as we call them and for a few moments everything just feels right. The floors are shining, the toys are put away, the oven sparkles, the sheets are changed, and there is a calm to the house that permeates through the entire family. We can't afford Bonnie, but somehow, no matter how tight money is, we find that $70 to pay Bonnie. It's my mental health money. It seriously helps keep me sane. I will not go grocery shopping to pay for her. I love you Bonnie. I know I should be able to do it all, but sometimes you just have to ask for help before you lose it.
Now, having Bonnie does present some funny moments. When the kids walk into their rooms after I've actually cleaned them and made the bed myself they'll look at me and say, "Hey mom, when did Bonnie come?" If they lose a toy or can't find something, they blame Bonnie, even when it's obviously not her. I can't wait until the kids can start having chores then maybe I won't have to pay for the help... which brings up another thought... do you pay an allowance for chores?? I think I believe that chores should just be part of being a part of the family not something for money. Allowance and money can be given for above and beyond duties. Hummm who knows. I guess I have a little time to think about it.
For now.... We love you bonnie!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You should not feel one tiny bit guilty about having Bonnie! You have THREE kids and work for cryin' out loud:) I agree...cleaning ladies ROCK! I don't have one here since I am not working, but I sure do miss my Lisa! And your mom is a very smart lady:)

P.S. That is such a cool effect on the photo below of Hud...how did you do it?

Kiki said...

Hi Rebecca! Thanks for your comments =)

I did that picture of hudson with snapfish tools... sepia tone and the "white torn" border. I hate how snapfish crops digital photos if you get them regular size or you have to get them in that smaller size.. I found that if you add a border you get a normal 4x6 not cropped. Fancy, I know :)