Larkin is really loving writing stories right now. She is especially into "me and my family" stories... I love that she is writing these and I'm so proud of how far her letters and pictures have come BUT every time she reads them I correct her and say "my family and I" ...why can't I get over this and just enjoy her work! It should be my family and I like this or that right?!? She argues with me and says her teacher says me and my sister like ice cream (or whatever) is correct! That's not correct is it?Now I'm second guessing myself. Why can't they teach the correct english from the get go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm pretty sure you are correct! The way I was taught to remember it is if it sounds weird if you took out the other noun (ex. family, sister, etc) and were left with just "me or I" and it sounded wrong, then it was wrong. So... me and my sister like ice cream is incorrect because you wouldn't say, "me like ice cream". Right? I have, admittedly, always found this tricky, but I think the aforementioned tool helps... and is right. I hope it is! Maybe things are changing? Sort of how they are teaching that you don't need two spaces between a period and the start of a new sentence, just one? I still do two.
Thanks for the backup Cat... That is exactly how I remembered it too! Glad I'm not the only one. I do wonder if it's something that is changing with the times. I still put two spaces after my periods... I don't know if I'll ever be able to break that habit.
Post a Comment