Classic Brooke Story:
Back in May when we were getting our summer plans in order, Brooke decided that she wanted to do the swim team this year with Hudson and Larkin because she was finally old enough (you have to be 5, and she turned 5 in January). I said absolutely not because, well, she didn't know how to swim. Being the determined, stubborn, relentless, and driven girl that she is, Brooke eventually wore me down into making her a deal (arrggh... the deals.... I don't know why I always give in to the negotiation...)
I told her that she could join the swim team IF she could jump in the deep end of the pool, swim across the length of the pool, and float on her back (at the time, she could do none of those things).
Damn if she didn't teach herself and push herself to do all of those things within 2 weeks! No lessons and with no guidance from me at all. I have to admit, her determination really impressed me. So, we bought her a suit and a pair of goggles and signed her up.
So last week was her first swim meet. She was so nervous about the whole thing... being on time, knowing when her race was, diving off the starting block, etc etc. She had only been swimming for 2 weeks, and she was slated to swim the 25m freestyle and 25 meter backstroke. In our town, these swim meets are a big deal... lots of kids, lots of chaos, and really when you're 5, seriously intimidating.
Her freestyle comes up first. Her coach was next to her cheering her on and she had tears running down her face, but she did it! AND she was the heat winner in her race!! She was SOOO proud... Look at that face in the picture when she got out of the pool. We all had tears in our eyes watching her overcome her fear, and swim her little heart out.
Her response when she recovers from the race : I am done with swim team. I did it. I won my race. I got my ribbon. I don't want to do it anymore. I am not doing the backstroke race. done.
Gregor and I: We are so proud of you! You did it! You are staying on the team. You are swimming the backstroke. You worked so hard to be here, you can't quit now.
Brooke held her ground for over and hour, and we eventually gave in. No backstroke race tonight, but you are going to stay on the team for the summer.
Fine. Fine.
The next morning she woke up with a fever and strep throat. Hummm... maybe that's why she was so tired and didn't want to swim anymore....
Tonight is our second meet and I can't wait to see how she handles it.
Her stubborn determination is challenging to deal with as a parent, but I can already tell that she is going to be successful in whatever she puts her mind to and isn't going to let anyone push her around... ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I love it! So do not love hearing she got strep, though. :( love our little Brookie Cookie, so proud of her. Giver a hug from us! xo
Post a Comment