Sunday, September 28, 2008

How big is Brooke!




It has been a crazy week! Gregor was busy almost every night with meetings, a back to school "required/no kids" school event (seriously... what are they going to do... kick us out!), and just working late to accommodate our new schedule (he has to stay late 2 nights a week to make up for the time he takes off to watch the kids while I work). I think the new schedule is going to take a bit of time to get used to, but it's going to work out well. Gregor gets quality time with the girls and I get alone time at my new office at UVA. It was so weird to go in there last week. I was sitting at this desk interacting with people that only knew me as Dr. Patsch... not Hudson, Larkin and Brooke's mom... not Gregor's wife... just another researcher in the coastal lab at UVA. A graduate student even invited me to a keg party on campus. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I really don't "party" anymore... I'm a lame 30+ mom of three that tries to be in bed by 10. I spent most of my first morning in the office struggling to find my professional identity which was buried deep down underneath my mommy-ness. It felt really good after awhile though to find this working self again, and to use my brain a bit. I'm not saying that I want a full time job or anything yet, but a few hours here and there in an "office" space (as opposed to in my bed working on a laptop) is going to be really good for me.
This week I also went on a "sell our stuff" binge. I don't know why, but I feel like we have been poorer than usual this month and needed a little extra cash to get us to payday next week. I found this great store in Charlottesville that will give you cash for clothes. It just felt good to purge a lot of my jeans and t-shirts that just don't work with my post-babies body anymore... I have to wonder if they ever worked for me really. It's funny how the body just changes after each kid. I guess the fat just gets redistributed in new places, or the hips just don't go back to where they used to be... I don't know, I feel like my entire torso just got longer... that or I used to wear shirts that were way to short and jeans that were way to low. Who knows! I made a little cash though. Yesterday I drove to Richmond in an attempt to sell Brooke's clothes that she's grown out of. Sorting those baby clothes to sell was so sad. I guess it was just making me realize that we aren't going to have any more tiny babies in the house, I'm not going be pregnant again, and that we are really just entering a new phase of life. I don't know why, but this just always makes me a little sad. I love the tiny babies so much!! The little snuggles, little toes, little voices... ahh I need to stop thinking about it.
Anyhow, Brooke learned a big trick this weekend, the classic "How big is Brooke?... SO Big" trick. Check out the video to see that in action. She seems determined to learn to crawl and has spent the weekend just trying to get the hang of it. She still only seems to manage to scoot backwards, and spends most of the time just face-planting and getting so frustrated. I'm sure she will get it in the next couple of weeks though.
Gracie has learned that Brooke is her new food source. She stalks Brooke and sneaks her zyback toask out of her fingers when I'm not looking. She also sits right under Brooke's chair at all meal times waiting for a crumb to drop.
Hudson had his first drop-off/no parents birthday party yesterday which he said was the "best birthday party EVER!" I hope that this is the start of many drop-off parties! It just seems like a great idea. Parents and siblings make even the smallest parties crazy.
Larkin is doing pretty well with the potty now. She still won't do the good ol' number 2 in the potty, but she asks for a pull up and works it out. I guess we would just consider her pee-trained right now. It's nice to be past the pee accidents though... that just tested my patience beyond belief. I put Brooke's moses basket in Larkin's room to hold her baby dolls etc, but Larkin has decided that this is a comfortable place to sit and read books herself. She now is begging me to let her sleep in this tiny basket! I have to admit, it does look cozy.

l

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ah, great post... I found my self, sighing, agreeing, and reading about myself through the whole thing! ;) Oh, wait that was you though. Everything, right down to the invites to keggers... the other night some college boys invited me around for beer after polo practice and I said, "where do you go, the brewery?" They said, "oh, no, we're not 21, just at our house." I felt really old! Flattered, but old.