Friday, January 23, 2009

Barf-o-rama and burritos

Today was one of those crazy solo lunch days that really just went beyond gross. I decided to take all the kids (by myself) to grab a quick lunch at chipolte after pre-school. I'm thinking the rice would be good for Brooke... she's got a MAJOR case of the Hershey squirts (as my mom always lovingly called the shits) from all the antibiotics she's on (at least that's what the nurse thinks... I'm not so sure). Anyhow, we get there, get our food and sit down. I'm sweating already, but we've got some sense of sanity. Literally the minute I bite my burrito, Brooke looks at me a little funny and the next thing I know a fountain of barf comes out of her mouth... seriously it is just gushing (on the floor mostly). Luckily, it's not the gross chunky kind.. just the watery kind. This is when I know that I'm a mom of three. I grab our stack of napkins, wipe of the watery mess off of the chair and the floor, discreetly change her outfit in the highchair and regain control. Nothing is going to get in the way of me and my burrito! I'm starving... even with the smell of vomit on my hands... a little hand sanitizer and I'm good to go. Seriously, no one in the restaurant gave us a second glance, Brooke didn't make even a whimper, and Hud and Larkin didn't look twice at the barf... it was freakishly casual. So here's where I do feel bad. On my trip back from getting more napkins, I see a guy in this nice suit grabbing our extra (vomit) chair. Just as he's about to sit I see that I missed a line of white barf on the front edge of the chair... sorry guy in the nice suit that is now going to have a vomit stain on the back of his knees :(
After that episode, Brooke was starving. She scarfs down more than Hudson and Larkin combined and seems perfectly fine. Crazy I know.
Then.... I pick her up to go outside to the car and realize that she has had another poop attack which is oozing out of her pants and up her back. Why do all the bodily grossities happen at the same time. At least at this point I'm done eating and I can deal with this mess in the car. I'm thankful that I keep extra clothes in my bag including and extra shirt for myself in the car. Gross Gross Gross. So is the barfing from her antibiotics too?? I don't think so, but what do I know... I'm just a doctor of the beaches. We did stop off on the way home to get this probiotic powder at the suggestion of auntie Cat... I hope it works!!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh, man,... dude. Ugh. But it seems you handled it QUITE effectively! I need to start keeping an extra change of clothes in the car (for me AND the baby)... smart idea!
Hope Brooke feels better soon!
Auntie Cat

Brianne Jensen said...

Sick Sick Sick... I'm so sorry. You know, if we stayed home every time our kids were sick or it was inconvinient to go out, we'd be stuck at home all the time! I am so glad you are one tough cookie, and just roll with it! I hope she feels better soon!

Julie said...

Very entertaining story ;) It brought back your bagel store story. Remember that one?