Gregor and I are stuck in the debate of whether or not to convert our playroom into a third room. When I was pregnant with Brooke, we decided to move Hudson into the smaller room upstairs, and have Larkin and Brooke share the bigger bedroom. We also have a playroom (the room over the garage) where the majority of the toys are. The kids have very few toys in their rooms. I like the idea of the bedroom being a place for sleeping (or reading/mellow activities). However, when we moved Brooke into her crib (at about 4 months or so) we realized that there was no way that the girls were going to be able to share a room in the near future. Larkin got freaked out by Brooke crying. Brooke wasn't sleeping through the night, and their nap schedules were off. So, we moved Brooke's crib into the playroom "temporarily." Brooke is finally (almost) sleeping through the night now, but their nap schedules are still a little off. I really can't imaging them in the same room yet. Larkin likes her space and has a particular order for everything. She doesn't like the idea of Brooke moving in. I'm sure she would get used to it, but honestly, I don't want anything to mess with Larkin's sleep. She NEEDS it! The playroom is really cold in the winter and warm in the summer (bad insulation I guess and because it's over the garage). We put a space heater in there for Brooke at night because she doesn't keep her blanket over her. She space heater has make our power bill skyrocket. Anyhow, here the debate:
Do we:
1. Turn the playroom into Hudson's room to give each kid their own room.
We would lose the playroom and have to divide all the toys up between the rooms.
I like this option, because everyone would have their own space. Hudson can have a thicker blanket at night, so he won't be cold. We wouldn't have the crazy chaos of the playroom because the toys would be divided and more manageable. Larkin and Brooke can nap on their own schedules, etc...
I don't like this idea because we wouldn't have a common place to play and store toys. I don't want the kids to get possessive over the toys or their rooms. We really only have "communal" toys right now... so who would get the kitchen set, art easel, puzzles, or the train table? Also, their rooms are going to be a little more crazy with the toys. I don't like the idea of everyone playing in their own room at this point. I don't think anyone would do that anyway. It's nice right now in the winter to have one room where we can all hang out and play. I like the couch in there. What would be do on these cold days without that room??
2. Put Brooke and Larkin in the same room
I just don't see how this would work. I think it will freak out Larkin and her "order" and mess up every one's nap schedule. I like it theoretically, I like having the common playroom space, and limited toys in the room.
3. Just Keep Brooke in the Playroom for awhile.
okay, how long? then what?
Right now, I'm leaning toward giving everyone their own room. This could be because I want to move the rooms around and paint. I want to give the rooms a little decorating love. I feel like all the rooms have been in limbo since we've moved into this house. That said, on these cold winter days when we spend the whole afternoon in the playroom, I think I'm crazy to give that up.
Ahh, the never ending room debate continues...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I say put the older two, Larkin and Huddy in the same room and keep the play room. That way, the sleep stays the good, the toy room is kept and in just another year or two... Larkin and Brooke can be in the same room. It's ok to shuffle them a couple times during the younger years. All the parents who have well rounded kids contribute it to shared rooms. It's good to have to share even if they don't like it at the time, they learn lots from the experience. Who cares about sexes at this age, until Bella needs privacy for girl reasons, they are sharing. Bella definetly wishes for her order, which I get, but we do what we can. For her favorite things.. We have 3 special baskets up high away from Luke and during Luke's nap time she gets to dig into them. Just another option to screw with you.
I think the girls will be fine together. Start the sister bond for life. Boys are weird and have koodies. Whatever it takes-- keep the guest room!.
I meant play room.
Post a Comment