Thursday, April 1, 2010

Coffee


I want one of THESE!
I've almost completely gotten myself off of soda (for those who know me this is a HUGE accomplishment). I will still occasionally have a diet coke at lunch, but my daily morning soda (or two) is gone! I'm really proud of myself.
BUT, as a mom of four with one of those being a not even three month old, I need Caffeine. I don't love the taste of coffee. I do love a skinny, vanilla latte with extra vanilla though. That love combined with the curb-side service from the local coffee shop less than a mile away has become a costly addiction and replacement for my soda. I knew it was bad when I called this morning and they said, "Hello skinny vanilla latte with extra vanilla, we will have that out to you in 2 minutes." ummm... embarrassing!
So, I'm thinking maybe I need to get a coffee maker for the house and learn to doctor up the coffee enough so that I like it (although I don't want too many extra calories... you know, I'm trying to lose that extra junk in my trunk before I have to put on a bathing suit). Maybe I can make the latte at home. I just don't really know where to start. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good coffee maker or how to make a coffee for someone that doesn't really like the taste of coffee? I should know this considering I worked in a coffee shop when I was 16, but way back then coffee just wasn't as fancy as it is now.

2 comments:

Ashley G said...

Hey kiki! I love skinny vanillas too! I solved my starbucks dilemma by going to and buying their sugar free vanilla syrup (7$ for a huge pump thingy) and then bought an expresso maker (super cheap one for like 30$) and now I make my own and they are fabulous! so my vote is yes you neeeeed one of these! love you!

Mammologist said...

Latte is essentially just coffee and milk. If you need the vanilla flavoring, just add it to coffee and milk. It is also worth trying the new starbucks via, which I have found is a totally adequate cup of coffee. You can get the imitation vanilla product listed by Ashley. The via works particularly well in hot milk and this would be cheap and easy, without the need of expensive equipment.
IF you are interested:
Espresso, because of the surface area, loses it flavor quickly when preground, and it adds extra steps and complexity to the preparation for little use when mixing with milk and flavoring. Drip coffee is simple and cheap-- when you buy preground drip coffee it buys you at least a week over preground espresso before it is stale. For espresso the machine matters, but for drip it really does not.