Sunday, February 1, 2009
Gold Stars
I was talking to one of my friends the other day that has gone back to graduate school, and I realized that I really miss being in school. I miss buying my new notebooks and pens and learning about anything really. Most of all, I miss that big fat A I used to get on most of my assignments and tests. I loved working hard, getting that positive reinforcement, and just feeling smart. That is one aspect of motherhood that I find challenging. There is never that "job well done" feeling equivalent to getting that A. The kids never look at me and say, "wow mom, I think I'll give you an A on that diaper change today." I'm a carrot-chaser as my friend put it. Where's my carrot these days? Everyday, I wonder if I'm doing a good job raising these kids. Are they going to be good people? Make good choices? Am I playing with them enough? Giving them enough independent time? creative time? Who knows. I don't get a mommy report card. I really wish I did sometimes! I'm sure that when they get older, they will blame me for everything that is wrong in their lives. It would be nice to know along the way what I should be doing differently. Even in the work world, I find the lack of positive reinforcement discouraging. I never feel like I am meeting expectations or performing at my best. I always felt this way when I was doing school work, but was reassured when I got that freaking A. Not now! Anyhow, that's what I'm thinking about tonight. I want a gold star so I know I'm doing a good job with these kids and with what I'm focusing on right now. That will never happen now that I'm an adult I guess. Maybe I should go back to school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You get an A++++ your kids are amazing! they will grow up and be amazing people like their parents. I told you that i wrote about you as one of my most influential people...and your not my mom sooo i can image you will have a huge positive effect on your kids and when they are our age, you will get that A+++ report card. but you can get it everyday by looking at how they each have their own great personalities, confidence, and independence. love you!
You are too sweet Ashley! I love you! Thanks for making me smile tonight.
You are a GREAT mom and an AMAZING wife! You deserve a galaxy of gold stars.
PS. I read your blog everyday.
That's awesome that Gregor reads your blog...Tyler said he was boycotting ours since I make some words bigger than others:)
Anyway, that's not the reason I am here...I was just wanting to say that I can totally relate! To the feedback with motherhood AND job thing. I was always convinced that I was on the verge of being fired at every job I have ever had since I wasn't getting enough feedback and so that may explain why I switched jobs so much....to beat them to the punch!
I have trained Sydney to repeat compliments to me:) "Mommy you are beuatiful." "Mommy you are awesome!" Etc... Etc....:) That helps:)
And I have maybe never told you this, but I think you are an amazing mom and that you handle things so well. I always think of how you are so in touch with the needs of each of your kids and don't try to fit them into a mold. Your kids and husband are very very lucky to have you! And I am so grateful for your example to me. I think of you often when I have those moments of motherhood contemplation:)
thanks Rebecca! You are too kind. Maybe I should train Hudson and Larkin to say wonderful things about mommy every day :) That's too funny. I really appreciate your comments... and just for the record, I think you are an amazing mom as well. You are so creative and so willing to try new things with them!!
Thanks Gregor... it really means a lot to me that you read my blog... and that you think I'm a good mom and wife... I love you!
Post a Comment