Baby Nellie... so so little and so so sick! On her one month birthday what I thought was just a little cold turned out to be a lot lot worse. Nellie literally did not sleep or eat from midnight on monday until I could get her into the doctor tuesday morning. She just screamed and screamed and screamed. I new something was definitely wrong. "Maybe your baby was just a little fussy last night and you should see how she does throughout the day," the nurse said when I called in the morning. Hell NO! There is something seriously wrong with my kid and I want to see the freaking doctor NOW! I'm a mom of FOUR, and I freaking know the difference between fussy and sick! That was the response in my head, but over the phone, I politely requested the first available appointment. So 45 minutes later, I found that that Nellie was indeed very sick. She has RSV (don't know what that stands for... but it's not good), bronchitis in her lungs, ear infections in BOTH ears and a fever of 101. Not good... especially not good for a 4 week old. That's what happens when you have so many kids... they all bring home all kids of bugs. Because she's so young with a fever they had to draw blood from her arm (I had to hold her while they drew blood with a needle that really was Huge... not fun at all). Then it was either admit her into the hospital to observe her over night, or let me watch over her all night. We decided to take her home, and I literally stared at her for 36 hours straight to make sure she was breathing. She didn't nurse for an entire day. My poor boobs were HUGE and hurting... I am so thankful for my fantastic neighbor for bringing over her breast pump, a bag of waters, and taking care of me for the day... someone needed to while I was taking care of Nellie! Gregor took care of the other girls and Hudson, and I just stared at Nellie, begging her to eat so I didn't have to admit her to the hospital for an IV. She also got a huge shot of antibiotics on tuesday and another on wednesday to knock out whatever it was that was making her sick (hopefully). Nellie finally started eating again early wednesday morning and seems in much better spirits today. We are hopefully out of the danger zone. She is still snotty and has a little cough, but she is much much better.
Nellie has had a good day today. She SMILED for the first time... looking at me in the eyes, while a huge grin spread across her face... it just melted my heart. My mission is to get a picture of this smile... it is just adorable!
Also, Nellie took a bottle today for the first time like it was no big deal at all!! I got a few funky moles removed today and because of the numbing shots, I have to pump and dump for 6 hours. The doctor told me this after the shots... grrr... .thankfully, I had a bottle of pumped milk in the fridge from the day Nellie didn't eat... so we had to figure it out. I've never had any luck with bottles. None of my kids used them, they acted like trying it was torture! I don't even know how to properly heat a bottle! Thanks again to Sarah for bringing over the bottle warmer and bottles... who knew I would actually Need them (although I still can't figure out how to use the warmer). So yeah, I was prepared for a fight, but No! Nellie just drank the entire 4 ounces like it was no big deal at all! This may change my life! Maybe I'll start pumping and let someone else wake up and feed her during the night (what do you think Gregor!)... I can pump and send a bottle with her once she can go to the gym so maybe I can actually get a workout! Maybe I can pump a bottle and Gregor and I can have a date night for longer than an hour and a half. There are so many possibilities here that I've never had before with any of my kids!! The one not fun part of all of these plans is pumping. It's awkward and time consuming. It's hard with other kids running around. Larkin andBrooke were mesmerized for 20 minutes though watching the bottles fill with milk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So hard! I hope that Nellie is feeling much better and that you are sleeping. You are supermom!!! Seriously, I think about you all the time...what would Kiki do...how would she handle this...not kidding.
That is great about the bottle. What kind of bottle are you using? I used Dr. Johns bottles at that age so that it would still take some work for the baby to suck it...if you get a bottle that is too easy to suck from the baby will sometimes get lazy and not want to nurse because that takes more effort, so if you are planning to keep nursing just keep that in mind.
I hear you on the pumping...uggg! I can still hear that sucking sound from the pump echoing in my head from when I pumped so much for T.
Also, just found some cute dresses at this site: http://diviinemodestee.com/ check 'em out!
xoxox
Post a Comment