Tuesday, May 27, 2008
The Routine
How is it that I basically have the same routine everyday yet some days just seem more difficult than others. I wake up at 6:30 (on a good day) with Hud running into the room ready to jump on the bed and set up "battles" with his star wars men or Miller crying to be fed. I try to jump into the shower before Larkin wakes up. There's no way I can shower if the Larkin monkey is awake. After that all the kids and I head downstairs for breakfast which usually consists of waffles, eggs and bagels. Larkin pretty much wants everything in the kitchen on her plate but really doesn't eat much. We pack Hudson's lunch, try to make Gregor breakfast and keep everyone somewhat sane. Then Hud's off to school and the girls and I fill our morning with house stuff, playing, the gym on a good day, parks, errands etc... it's pretty much go go go... diapers, snacks, diapers, into the carseats out of the carseats... drive drive drive... mornings are unpredictable but busy. We pick up Hudson from school at noon, another in and out of the car experience and then it's off to meet Gregor for lunch. This used to be a relaxing part of the day and quality time for Gregor to have with the kids, but for some reason, it's just been a little crazy recently. After that it's home for naps. I try and fit in at least 2 hours of work during nap time but Miller doesn't always cooperate with her sleeping. She starting to reach for everything these days and has realized that I'm not much fun if I'm sitting at the computer so she gets agitated if I sit at the desk now. After that we all go outside to spend the afternoon with friends and neighbors. This is pretty much damage control, more snacks, kissing boo-boos after the kids fall, pulling things in and out of the garage, etc... At around 5:30 or 6 we head in for dinner. 6:45 baths, 7:00 bed for everyone. Once everyone is asleep it's laundry time... my freaking laundry basket just can't stay empty with 5 people... After a little laundry and tidying up it's back to work for a couple of hours from 8-10. I don't have to work every evening, but recently I have been super busy. I need to wind down a little so I don't actually get to sleep until after 11 or so.... Miller then wakes up around 11:30 to feed (although the last 2 nights, she's skipped this one.. yea!).... then up again between 3:30 and 4. She is then usually awake from 6:00 on. So that's my typical day. No wonder I'm tired. People without kids wonder why moms have such a tight schedule and get agitated if their kids can't be in bed by 7:00 at night or whatever their bedtime is. Making it through everyday with a smile still on your face at the end of the day is hard enough... if you add to that kids who are tired (something that can happen even if they miss only 30 minutes of sleep!) the days just seems extra hard. You have breakdowns over small decisions... nap schedules get whacked out... and the day's routine just doesn't work out. Those days are the hardest. Everything just seems off and hard. It's different if you are traveling or if it's the weekend and Gregor's home. At those times you typically have extra help or new activities to occupy the kids. However during the typical day... there is nothing more difficult than tired kids... except of course sick kids. Even that is easier though sometimes because sick kids are a little more mellow and might just chill out more than usual... a good thing. Well, that was way more of a ramble than I expected, but for some reason I feel better now that I've purged my crazy routine from my soul!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You are a supermom in every way... you make 3 kids look easy. I'm gonna miss being part of the madness in the afternoons... keep up the good work and keep on smiling:)
Post a Comment